Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Portfolio Seminar

Today was a huge change of pace for me as I was a guest presenter in Adam's class...or more or less, I used some of his class time to give my own presentation. Nonetheless, I had over two hours of the students' attention discussing the phenomenon of that important little book all of us as designers must create to define who we are and what we can do. There was a lot of material to cover, but as a whole, I think it gave everyone a good basis of ideas to start thinking about. I even hauled back my own portfolios from undergrad and grad school and passed them around for everyone to see. Even more fun was the fact that we had two brave souls volunteer their own portfolios to be projected for a bit of class critique (not sure if they saw the group critique coming ; ) But I believe that exercise went over awesomely (is that even a word?) as the students really chimed in and actively discussed weak areas versus strong points with each layout. In any case, I think they were just really glad to see some examples and have a few of us there who'd been through this before. A few other students came up to me after class and said they'd also be interested in a bit further discussion on portfolio layouts as well as resume and cover letter critique. As of now, it looks like I'm signed up again this Friday to head back to the school for some more one-on-one time. It really does feel nice to be able to impart some of my professional knowledge onto others who need advice. It's actually really fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment